LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Is HR a Thankless Job?

I've heard it so many times that I believed it. At some point I accepted that people look at HR as some kind of a malevolent entity (just like Catbert). Employees suspect HR of being too pro-management. Managers suspect HR of being too pro-employees. I have resigned to the thought that people will have a hard time seeing that as an HR person, I am pro-the-right-thing-to-do-given-a-situation. I thought people have unrealistic expectations of HR and that no matter how I try, I will never measure up to that unrealistic expectation. Is frustration a natural part of the career I have chosen?

But as I grow older, I started learning or to put it more accurately, unlearning the mindsets I have developed over the years listening to fellow HR practitioners and proving them right. I saw what I was conditioned to see. HR was a thankless job, because that's what a lot of people around me say about it and I believed them. When I started questioning my own beliefs about this job, I realized that no, HR is not a thankless job, as a matter of fact, I could not count the times people appreciated what I did as an HR practitioner.

I could not count the number of people who thanked me for facilitating their employment.

I could not count the number of times a fellow manager thanked me for helping him/her find the right person for the job.

I could not count the number of times managers thanked me for helping them deal with a situation concerning their employees.

I could not count the number of times an employee thanked me for clarifying an issue or for helping them with what they need.

I could not count the number of times people thanked me for listening to them.

I could not count the number of times a training participant thanked me for sharing a part of myself.

I could not count the times I received thanks for helping an entire organization.

This job is not thankless. And knowing the kind of person that I am, I am still in this business because of the countless number of thanks I get for doing my job.

When I changed my belief, the frustrations went away and I was more energized to do my job. The more energized I am to do my job, the better I get at it and the more the rewards came my way. If you ask me though, I'd say that for me, the job is its own reward. I am thankful that I get to do what I do every chance I get.

Lastly, Any job can be a thankless job for as long as people don't see the reason why they should thank the one carrying out the job. At least, that's what I think.

3 comments:

  1. There are actually HR na super pro-management. Kasi kung hindi, tatanggalin sila. There's one who is balance pero tinanggal pa ren sya. He is balance because he wants everyone to benefit, both the management and the employees. Kaso yung pinaka boss, ayaw nya ng ganun.

    Gusto nya yung HR parang puppet nya. I'm talking about a company where I only last for 3 years. 2 HRs, yung isa bading na nanghihipo ng lalaki. Well fine. Pero yung isa eh maniac sa babae! Hinalikan ako sa pisngi. Nung nagresign ako, nag open ako sa boss. Pero alam ren ng boss yun. So niproprotectahan ng boss yung HR kc maraming alam na secrets sila HR sa company. And in return mga HR are puppets ng company.

    Nakakafrustrate di ba?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer to be optimistic, so though there might be some truth to Berryblitz statement I guess I'd rather do my job better to reap better results. So I would stick to the thought that HR Department really helps a lot of people especially today that a lot of Filipinos are unemployed. They really contribute to the holistic development of our National Economy.

    HR's job isn't thankless I mean words are not the best of the ways to show once gratitude. Just to give a piece of my mind: "A professional can tell whenever his customer or the person he renders his services is satisfied, Gratitude can be earned just by knowing you've done what your supposed to do."

    I think if you're an HR Practitioner or Manager it goes three-way both your client and boss somehow end up recognizing your good work, so as I said earlier just render the best of your services, you're a professional after all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That isn't just your father for the family which will be treated thanklessly; my partner and i tend to be many unappreciated through day to help time. Yet It's no coincidence how the same people, plus the same situations, repetitively carry you usually are granted. Thankless person

    ReplyDelete

If you have an opinion about this topic or a related experience you want to share, please feel free to leave a comment but please be respectful. No bad words please or I will be constrained to delete it.