LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sharpen Your HR Saw

Call this post a result of a hangover after I spent a few thousand pesos to attend a six-day training on coaching. As a matter of fact, this post idea came to me as I sat there listening to the facilitator. It was the first day of training. I hardly have any idea if my training investment is worth it (I found that it was well worth it later) but I was already feeling good and was giving myself a pat on the back for squeezing in the time from my very busy schedule and putting in the money that's getting hard to come by these days. I was telling myself, "Ed, if you want more profit, you gotta invest more and you did, congratulations!" The people who joined that six-day session are incredibly self-driven. No one was instructed by a boss to attend that training. Most paid from their own pockets and those who didn't are not less driven than those who did because as I said, they all chose to be there. No instruction, no coercion. As a result that training was successful not only because our resource person was great but because the participants are out to get their money's worth... and yes they are all super smart.

As I said, money is getting harder to come by these days. The economic crunch may force companies to hold tight on their money and forgo staff development. If this happens in your company, will you postpone your personal and professional development and wait till your boss is willing to pay for your training? I suggest not. I suggest that YOU TAKE MATTERS IN YOUR OWN HANDS AS FAR AS YOUR CAREER DEVELOPMENT IS CONCERNED (I hope that's clear enough). I suggest that you set aside some of your earnings for a training that you feel will help you do a better job and advance in your career or will help you set a better direction for yourself. Never stop from sharpening your saw. If you are an HR practitioner, that is an even bigger reason not to stop from sharpening your HR saw. Why, because I believe that this profession requires continuing learning if not continuing education.

Some people feel that investing in their own training and then using their knowledge to improve a company is not a fair deal. I say that, that way of thinking is shortsighted. When you invest in your own learning you acquire knowledge. When you use your company as a laboratory for testing your new knowledge, you develop a skill and you improve your stock. Yes the company benefits from your training but you benefit more because you get recognized for your new capabilities and it may pave the way for promotion. If they fail to recognize your capabilities, another company will and they will pay a premium for it, you still win in the end. The participants in the training I attended last week know all these and that's why they are all winners in my eyes.

Since you've gone this far in reading this piece, let me recommend a few things that HR practitioners who dream of becoming successful professionals can invest their money in:

-Training the Trainer
-certificate or Diploma courses for HR Management from PMAP or PSTD
-Membership in Professional organizations as PMAP and PSTD
- Toastmasters membership
- Performance management Training
- Job evaluation training
- Compensation management related training
- UP SOLAIR's labor laws training
- All sorts of communication training
- Connect with like-minded individuals and share knowledge and experiences with them through social networking and other means.

If you can get your boss to pay for all this, great! I envy you, if not, don't let it stop you from sharpening your HR saw because you'll never know when a bigger tree needs cutting, if you know what I mean.

2 comments:

  1. I can't agree more on the topic! As a coach, I specialize in helping HR people specifically with their unique professional development. I'm not here to necessarily hawk my own wares, but what I do does make a difference for my clients. My over 25 years of HR experience makes me uniquely qualified to know about the needs of HR. I invite questions and inquiries: Robert@HumanResourcesCoaching.com. www.HumanResourcesCoaching.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Money isn't much a luxury nowadays, especially for Filipinos, though I can point out that its obviously an investment. Telling you that education has its price too and education is the top most priority a person should invest in this very competitive realm of existence.

    HR education, experience and training comes in very handy when reaching employment transition stages such as promotions. Though like what you said each of these training mostly comes from the trainees pocket, it isn't much of a waste, as i've said its investment.

    Ever wondered why education and special trainings are highly credited in Resumes and CVs?

    Just a thought. . . Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

If you have an opinion about this topic or a related experience you want to share, please feel free to leave a comment but please be respectful. No bad words please or I will be constrained to delete it.