LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Why I will Vote for Manny Pacquiao

Nope, this blog is not misplaced. Read through so you'll know.

There are stories that say Manny Paquiao may run for Congress as representative of either Sarangani province or Quezon City. If he runs as congressman, I will vote for him.

Personally, I don't want our Champion to run for public office and that is for his own welfare. He can do more by using his winnings to invest in businesses that will help produce jobs for those who need it. He can use his wealth to help people better rather than keep on giving dole outs.

Why not for the country's sake? At the very least, I don't think Manny can do any worse than the existing public officials whom he might replace if he wins in an election. So, should he decide to run and I happen to be in the jurisdiction, I will vote for him. Why? Here are my reasons:

As I mentioned above, at the very least, Manny Pacquiao can't possibly do any worse. I mean, if he decides to steal, that's nothing new, if he doesn't do anything productive, he'll be right in the league of others. He's so new at this that I can bet that if he tries to do this he can't be at par as those who have developed impeccable skills for stealing and doing nothing for the people.

However, I don't think Pacquiao will do any of these dastardly deeds as the other politicians before him. This is because aside from his athletic talents, I am guessing based on my limited observation of him that he possess some of the talents mentioned in the StrengthsFinder by Gallup (which I hope he actually takes) and the themes I believe he possess are the following:

Achiever--People strong in the Achiever theme have a great deal of stamina and work hard. They take great satisfaction from being busy and productive.

I followed Pacquiao from his blow-by-blow days to today and I can say the obvious that his improvement overtime has been exponential. I attribute this to his desire for achievement. If he apply this same talent in his politics, he may start clumsily but will eventually develop the necessary skills to run office. Another proof, I heard that he is not just doing well in boxing he is also doing well in running his businesses.

Belief--People strong in the Belief theme have certain core values that are unchanging. Out of these values emerges a defined purpose for their life.

Manny is consistent about his beliefs and values. I'm a boxing fan enough to distinguish who fights dirty and who doesn't in the ring and I'll say that I've never seen him fight dirty. He prays before and after every fight and shows humanity in dealing with his opponents after the fight. If this is any indicator of his values as a person, I like to see him apply this in public office.

Competition--People strong in the Competition theme measure their progress against the performance of others. They strive to win first place and revel in contests.

If he can be as competitive in politics as he did in boxing, he might as well become one of our best public officials in the future.

Discipline--People strong in the Discipline theme enjoy routine and structure. Their world is best described by the order they create.

Should I say more?

Empathy--People strong in the Empathy theme can sense the feelings of other people by imagining themselves in others’ lives or others’ situations.


Empathy is pacman's soul and could be his moral compass in office. This will prevent him from robbing people blind unlike the ones we unfortunately have right now.

Yes, Pacquiao does't have the current skills of our present day politicians, he doesn't have their education and eloquence, but he's got unprecedented potentials.

Just like what we often say in recruitment, hire for talent, train for skills, and this is why I will vote for Pacquaio.

Nope I am not campaigning for Manny, I don't even want him to run for office.Running for office however is his call. I just want to give emphasis on the use of knowing a person's talent to determine his ability to deliver on the task at hand. I also want to emphasize that these are all haunches, I'd love to see him take the test so we can know for sure if he really does have the talents I mentioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have an opinion about this topic or a related experience you want to share, please feel free to leave a comment but please be respectful. No bad words please or I will be constrained to delete it.