LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Hold Your Horses! Things to Know Before Camping Out for a Teambuilding Workshop

Hooy!

It's been a while since my last post. I've been quite busy lately with a lot of goings on in the company that I work for as well as my training consulting part-time work. Although it's been my habit to reflect on what's going on and what I've been doing, I never get a chance to sit down and put together all my thoughts and pour them in this blog. But now I did... So here goes...

I had a long discussion lately with one of my clients about his expectation of what a teambuilding workshop will do to his team. This is not the first time that I heard a client give a laundry list of things that they wish an intervention like this one can deliver for the team. As usual I had to level off his expectations:

I'd like to think of the teambuilding workshops I facilitate as a sparkplug to jumpstart the process of building the team. It is definitely not a shot in the arm of the team that will make them well soon after they feel its effects. Yes it's a process that involves change that require commitment from its members most especially the leaders. It is a process that has a beginning that goes to a cycle of continuous improvement. A workshop that involves getting people together to play some games and reflect on them is definitely not the be-all-and-end all of teambuilding! It's just an intervention!

A number of times I saw good teambuilding workshops go to waste because the leaders fail to take the necessary steps to make it worth while and relevant. I've seen a number of people become cynical about this thing because they did not see any relevant change in their team. In teambuilding, it is most dangerous to say we're going on a teambuilding without a clear idea about what you really need to do in order to get there... In my opinion, an honest to goodness teambuilding endeavor must have the following:

  1. A clear idea of what a team approach or culture is and a firm decision that this is the kind of culture you want to cultivate.
  2. A thorough diagnosis of current team climate to find out what the team needs in order to perform well.
  3. A good strategy on what interventions are needed in order to get there
  4. Effective implementation of these interventions (which may or may not include a "teambuilding workshop")
  5. A no let-up follow through by organizational leaders to ensure that the results of the interventions are thoroughly implemented during team endeavors.
  6. A continuous assessment of team health and the necessary interventions.

My suggestion is, before you jump right to a "teambuilding activity", check out if your intervention include the above stuff and for goodness sake, make sure there's follow through!

'Till next post!


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have an opinion about this topic or a related experience you want to share, please feel free to leave a comment but please be respectful. No bad words please or I will be constrained to delete it.